A new blog for a new year Welcome to the new and streamlined AmiWest blog for 2014! This year we are posting all of our blog posts directly instead of using an "app". Hopefully this will streamline the process and make the blog more readable.
1. Dates, times and places
1.1. New features for this year
2. All Volunteer
3. The AmiVerse - not just advertising.
3.1. AmiVerse Cafe
3.2. Cafe sponsorship
4. AmiWest Hotel Rates
4.1. Special hotel rates
4.2. Time frame
4.3. Rates are now active!
4.5. Book now!
5. Hotel rates addendum
5.1. Rates active dates
5.2. Discount rates
5.3. Book now
6. Things to do and see in and around Sacramento
6.1. Just one more set of reasons to come to AmiWest!
- Dates:AmiWest 2014 will occur October 24-26, with our 3rd annual AmigaOS Programming Seminar scheduled for October 23-24. These are the dates we have been publicizing since January of 2014 on amiwest.net. More details will be forthcoming in future blog posts.
- Our location: the Holiday Inn Express, 2224 Auburn Blvd., Sacramento, CA, 95821, USA. We will have the reservation link active on amiwest.net within this next month for advance planning purposes. We do realize that many of you arrive from distant locations and like to plan ahead. Location Phone and FAX: Hotel Front Desk: 001-916-923-1100, Hotel Fax: 001-916-921-9900
- Times: the programming seminar will begin on the morning of October 23 with the exact time TBA. Please watch the website. The show itself will begin, as always, with the Classic Clinic on Friday evening about 5 PM.
- We have planned a couple of new features for this year in addition to our traditional structure of show floor and seminar presentations. Watch for them in coming blog posts.
- So be sure to make your plans now to attend and bring a friend along who's new to AmiWest. Watch this blog for all the latest details and breaking AmiWest news.
One of the outstanding features of the AmiWest show is the all-volunteer nature of the event. It is a mostly invisible feature; you can't see it or touch it. But people know it's there.
How? Because of the passion with which this enterprise is approached. People from around the globe who are significant in their fields of endeavor volunteer time and expertise in pursuit of our show to make it better and have fun doing it. We could never pay even the consulting fees for the expert help we get. People contribute equipment, time, expertise, and positive attitude to make AmiWest what it is.
And they do it to promote what has become the AmiVerse community. More than just an online phenomenon, the community that continues to gather momentum around the Amiga platform is unique in its scope and passion. The addition of AROS and MorphOS has brought what we call the AmiVerse into being.
So come be a part of the volunteer AmiVerse. Make your positive contribution by coming to AmiWest in October and propel the AmiVerse into the future.
See you there!
The expansion of the Amiga platform in other directions through AROS and MorphOS is a spontaneous growth rarely seen in the computing industry. Spawned by the Amiga platform, these branches have their own aims, quality and character.
Some perceive conflicts here. We're promoting unity; one AmiVerse going forward for elegance and efficiency in computing. That is what the Amiga always was about and still is about. At the end of the day, you, the user, determine how you will use your computer and how it will accomplish your ends - not the other way 'round. A mind-boggling array of options are available.
Which leads me to a new AmiWest feature: the AmiVerse Cafe.
- This year, we are defining an area to set up your AmiVerse machine at AmiWest. Maybe you have a great setup that accomplishes your goals and would like to share it with others. We do realize that this area could get kind of crowded if lots of people bring machines. We'll take the risk to promote display of your unique setup so others can be inspired.
- Please bring only AmiVerse (i.e., Amiga, AROS, MorphOS, and emulators) to this area! We will have an AmiWest staff member checking people in to be sure that other platforms, which advertise heavily, are not present in this area. What we want everyone to see is what you are doing in the AmiVerse.
We are still looking for a sponsor for this area. Sponsorship involves the usual sponsorship fee and will support and area for two or three six-foot tables along with power and internet capabilities. If you're interested, please email email@example.com with "Cafe sponsorship" in the subject line.
This year, as we have every year, we negotiate an AmiWest rate for the Holiday Inn rooms for the AmiWest conference. And this year, as every year, we need to get an exception to Intercontinental Hotels (ICH) policy to post this rate earlier than they usually do.
Most of the time, ICH posts a group rate just two weeks before the event. In our case, because we have so many international travelers that plan months in advance, we negotiate an exception to this policy every year. Now those rates are in "the system" for ICH.
Our most recent test as of today's date show that the rates have not propagated to the server just yet. Here is how to check for the rates in the future.
- Go to the hotel link on amiwest.net, click, and find the "Have a group rate?" link on the left sidebar. Enter "AMI" (no quotes) into the box. What you should see is our special AmiWest rate. Here are the room rates and types:Ami West Refundable No deposit required Breakfast included King Bed Guest Room 1 of 3 KING EXECUTIVE NONSMOKING 2 person(s) per room maximum 2 Thanks to the free high speed wireless internet access you can easily stay connected to friends and family as you finish paperwork at the spacious desk watch a movie or your favorite shows on the 32 inch LCD TV use the microwave and fridge to fix a snack then slip into the triple sheeted bed View Rate Details 76.00 USD Average Nightly Rate Queen Bed Guest Room 2 QUEEN BEDS EXECUTIVE NONSMOKING 4 person(s) per room maximum 4 You are sure to stay entertained thanks to the free high speed wireless internet access a 32 inch LCD TV with ppv movies and an ipod docking station before slipping into the triple sheeted bed fix a snack with a microwave and fridge or finish paperwork at the desk with an ergonomic chair View Rate Details 82.40 USD Average Nightly Rate
- Please book your rooms now. Use this link to book.
- The rest of the hotel information is also summarized there. The first link is the booking link. Clicking on the hotel address connects to Google Maps showing the location.
- We'll see you in two months!
These rates are active from October 20 through October 27, 2014. So you can spend a whole week in Sacramento seeing the sights (there are many) as well as attending our show.
The regular rate for the single king room is $91+ per night and the double queen bed room is $99 per night. OUR PRICE is $76+ and $82+, respectively, for the same accomodations. And it includes a hot breakfast that saves each person from $5-$10 daily.
If you choose to call the hotel instead of book online, TELL THEM that you are with the AmiWest conference and want the special AmiWest room rates.
- Our SACC AmiWest page links here to many of the attractions of interest in and around the Sacramento area.
- Go to the bottom of the page to see the links. The weather should be great and the traffic is down since this is not tourist season here. Come early and enjoy the history and beauty of Sacramento, California's capitol and the first Gold Rush city.